My One Word 2013: Communion

This will be the third year I have chosen "my one word" to help me focus on how I want my life to change in the coming year.  In the past two years the words I chose ("Bloom" in 2011 and "Stride" in 2012) were broad in their scope and did indeed reach into all the corners of my life.  There was a blossoming that took place in '11 and I can assure you that change really picked up momentum in '12.  And how grateful I am. 

It is truly supernatural - driven by the Spirit - how much different life looks today than it did a year ago. I met a woman who attends Port City Community Church (the church that "my one word" originated from) and we had a conversation about how God really does work through your "one word".  I know this to be true which is why I think I will always have a "one word", not just for a daily reminder of where my focus should be, but to ask God to join me. 
 
Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. 
Keep on seeking, and you will find.
Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.
Matthew 7:7
 
Only He can take this word, this idea, this intention and work it for my good and His glory.  I saw this with my own eyes in 2012.  I invited God to come in and move and in turn He asked some things of me.  Some hard things.  People have praised me for the way in which I handled some things this past year, but I didn't do anything without Him. 
 
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13


My one verse last year was Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

My year started with that verse, but it seems have come to a close with another - Romans 5:3-4
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.  And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.


And that is the rock that I stand on today.  Who could ask for anything more?  Well, I am going to keep on asking (Matthew 7:7).  I know Jesus is my rock, but I want to know Him more.  I want to spend this year resting on that rock.

My one word for 2013 is:
com·mun·ion
/kəˈmyo͞onyən/

Noun
  1. The sharing or exchanging of intimate thoughts and feelings, esp. when the exchange is on a mental or spiritual level.
 
Why?  Because
My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."
Psalm 27:8

I spent the early part of 2012 spending time with God every morning -- something I was encouraged to do in a class at Barefoot Church with Pastor Jonathan Lawson where I truly felt I was being discipled.  As my year progressed in a whirlwind and the class came to an end, I slowly let this special time alone with God fall by the wayside.  Having experienced the richness of what that kind of intimacy with God can be like, I certainly have felt that my days are missing something.  Don't get me wrong, I still talk to God ALL the time and I do hear Him, but I am thirsty for more.  I need our alone time back.  I want Him to speak into my heart through His presence and His Word.  I desire both rest and revelation.  I am ready to slow down, take a deep breath, and commune with Him every morning.  I will come to Him in worship, with thanksgiving, with longing, in supplication, and without expectation because He is my heart's desire.



0 comments:

Post a Comment