365.

I will begin by saying that I enjoy a glass of red wine, a pint of dark beer, and an occasional margarita (on the rocks with salt).  For some time now I have felt led to fast all alcohol, toying with the idea of doing it for a month or two. God had other plans.  As I was praying this morning He made it VERY clear.  365 days.  I swear I actually heard His voice.  It's not that I think I have a problem, but it is an indulgence that I do not need in my life.  We are having steak for dinner later this week and I know I will miss that glass of Cabernet with my meal, but I am actually really looking forward to this challenge and what will be revealed to me. 

In a recent sermon, Pastor Shonn Keels talked about fasting with purpose.  It is obvious that abstaining from all alcohol has its health benefits, but I wanted a deeper challenge.  I wanted to cut something out of my life while enriching my life with something else.  I am already in the Word more; between our New Testament class with Pastor Jonathan Lawson and my morning devotional time, I am well on my way to hiding His Word in my heart (Psalm 119:11).  I truly believe that the extra time I have carved out of my day to spend with God has helped me to hear Him with more clarity.  I did not have to pray long on what my purpose was to be during this fasting and I cannot explain with my mere words what it is like have a revelation smack in the core of your heart or the joy that comes from knowing you are connected directly with the God of the universe. 

During the span of 365 days, I will attempt to memorize the Sermon on the Mount.  The seed was planted several months back when I heard Pastor Steven Furtick of Elevation Church say that his father had memorized it.  I saw the Sermon on the Mount described as "How to live a life that is dedicated to and pleasing to God, free from hypocrisy, full of love and grace, full of wisdom and discernment."  I know it is not going to be easy, definitely harder than giving up the alcohol, but may be one of the most worthwhile tasks I have tried to tackle thus far in my life.  Last year Pastor Clay challenged the staff at Barefoot to memorize the Book of Titus (it being about leadership).  In the beginning I would often hear staffers reciting to each other in various parts of the church, but that didn't last long.  I have often wondered how many people completed that challenge -- I had heard that Greg and Krista Hoff had done it, but have never asked.  The staff at Barefoot are dedicated, committed people and that many of them did not finish this task speaks of how difficult an undertaking it must be. 

The Sermon on the Mount begins at Matthew 5:3 and ends at Matthew 7:27.  It consists of 107 verses and contains about 2000 words.  In it Jesus talks about the character of those of the kingdom of heaven (the Beatitudes), he expounds on the Ten Commandments, he teaches about prayer, fasting, money, and warns of false prophets.  The Sermon on the Mount is Jesus telling us how to live -- perfect for carrying in the heart as we are living our daily lives.  Pastor Clay gave us a formula today that I am putting into practice.  H3 = world changer.  Head, heart, hands.  The Word in my head, transforming my heart, coming out through my hands, my actions. 

It is a daunting task, but one that I know will help me grow in my walk with Christ (increase my "stride",  so to speak) and make me a brighter light for others to find their way to Him and experience the joy that only He can bring. 

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us
realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment